Windham County Sheriff's Office
PO Box 266 Newfane, VT 05345

Posted by: Mark Anderson on 01/10/2008

The Windham County Sheriff's Department serves as the regional coordinator for Windham County START. START was developed through a federal grant to provide each county in the state with a team of law enforcement, local coalitions and communities to reduce and prevent youth access to alcohol, teen highway fatalities, rural drinking parties and adult sanction of youth alcohol abuse.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How old do you have to be to drink alcohol in Vermont? A. 21 - No exceptions.

Q. If I buy alcohol for minors, what can happen to me? A. You can be arrested and face penalities of $500.00 and $2,000.00 and/or be imprisoned for up to two years.

Q. What if there are minors drinking at my residence? A. Regardless of who purchased the alcohol, merely providing minors with the opportunity to consume alcohol can result in an arrest and penalities of $500.00 and $2,000.00 and/or be imprisoned for up to two years. Also, most insurance companies won't provide coverage when criminal activity is occuring - thus you could become personally liable for damages or injuries occuring.

Q. When is START used? A. START is activated from the request of a law enforcement agency based on information of suspected or predicted youth alcohol use. The number one goal for our team is to prevent underage alcohol abuse before it takes place. For this reason, you will see START activated around times like Prom, High School graduations, Old Home Days and other various events.

Q. There's a party going on next door. How do I call START? A. Contact your local law enforcement agency to report the party. That agency will make the referral to START.

Q. Who makes up START? A. Windham County START consists of personnel from all the law enforcement agencies in the county to include the Windham County Sheriff�s Department, Brattleboro Police Department, Bellows Falls Police Department, Dover Police Department, Vernon Police Department, Wilmington Police Department, the Department of Liquor Control, the Vermont State Police and local youth coalitions.